Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I own a JRT, he's just 16 months old, he's seen s vet and

Customer Question

I own a JRT , he's just 16 months old, he's seen his vet and been kept in on two occasions now .
When he was about ten months old I noticed he was having a big problem opening his bowels, he'd cry in pain and limps then he can't even jump up or run he looks restless he's had two lots of xRays done it showed his plates hadn't joined on the first so we waited until he was one years old he was kept in again xRays took they don't show anything at all,. I am at my wits end he can't go in walks he is in pain I really need some help in locating a vet that knows what is going on. He's back at his vets this Wednesday . I know they sent his xRays onto another vet to look at but we still have no answers. Please could anyone advise me
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow has been suffering from difficulty passing stools and pain, limping and unable to move or jump normally, since 10 months of age.

I understand that a series of radiographs were taken, initially showing incomplete growth plate closure but now looking normal. While it is frustrating to have normal test results with a fellow that isn't normal or comfortable, it does give us an idea that his primary trouble isn't bony in nature. Sometimes it is just as important to know what the problem isn't, as that allows us to know what not to investigate further and what won't work in treatment.

I suspect that his primary trouble is neurologic, meaning it is with the nerves that make up his spinal cord or the nerve roots that leave his spinal cord off his spine and control his colon function, allowing stools to pass normally, and to the muscles of his rear legs and back which allow normal rear leg and back function. Unfortunately the only good ways to evaluate those systems are specialty tests such as an MRI or CT scan. Even if you don't choose to have that testing done it would be beneficial for him to see a veterinary neurologist. They will have the expertise that a general practitioner does not to notice things on a neurologic examination and may have recommendations to help him.

Because your fellow is a ***** ***** it is possible that his intestinal motility is slower than normal due to poor nerve function. ***** *****s with short tails are known for having abnormal nerve function at the end of their spinal cord (where the nerves that control the colon come off of the spinal cord) as the genetics that lead to short or absent tails can also affect spinal cord development. Since he had difficulty with jumping and moving normally then I suspect that he does have some neurologic based trouble. But even if he were able to move normally he may still have altered colonic motility due to abnormal nerve development.

I highly recommend asking for a referral to a veterinary neurologist.

There are seven veterinary schools in the UK which award degrees that have been approved by the RCVS. Any of them should have a neurologist on staff that can evaluate him:

University of Bristol,
Senate House,
Tyndall Avenue,
Bristol, BS8 1TH, UK
Tel: +44 (0)117(###) ###-####/p>

University of Cambridge

Department of Veterinary Medicine

Madingley Road

Cambridge

CB3 0ES

Reception telephone: +44 (0)1223 337701

Fax: +44 (0)1223 337610

The Queens's Veterinary School Hospital

Reception telephone: +44 (0)1223 337621

Fax: +44 (0)1223 330848

University of Edinburgh

• Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies

Easter Bush Campus

Midlothian

EH25 9RG

University of Glasgow

School of Veterinary Medicine
College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences
University of Glasgow
Garscube Campus
Bearsden Road
Glasgow, G61 1QH

Small Animal Hospital 0141(###) ###-####/p>

Out of Hours Emergency Service 0845(###) ###-####/p>

University of Liverpool

Small Animal Teaching Hospital, School of Veterinary Science, University of Liverpool
Leahurst Campus, Chester High Road, Neston CH64 7TE, United Kingdom
+44 (0)151(###) ###-####/(###) ###-####/p>

University of Nottingham

School of Veterinary Medicine and Science
University of Nottingham
Sutton Bonington Campus
Leicestershire
LE12 5RD

telephone: +44 (0)(###) ###-####br />fax: +44 (0)(###) ###-####/p>

Royal Veterinary College London

The Royal Veterinary College
Royal College Street
London
NW1 0TU
United Kingdom

+44(0)20 7387 8134

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****