Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My Westie was recently speyed and seems in good health.

Customer Question

My Westie bitch was recently speyed and seems in good health. However on inspection of her belly this evening we noticed one side of her belly next to the wound is a tiny bit swollen and is firm to touch. I pressed on it and it's not uncomfortable for her. The wound seems to be healing nicely. It's a little red but I assumed this was normal. Should I be worried? She's very much herself and is eating and drinking normally!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you post a picture on this thread of the swelling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just trying to upload a photo. It's only very slight. Wasn't sure if they can have minor hernias or something. My partner has been gently pressing on it but she's not flinching or anything.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I am having a bit of trouble seeing the swelling, is it in the bottom toward the right of the incision?

Thank you for the picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you look at the bottom of the picture it's just a very slight swelling between the incision and the nipple. Feels firm to touch but isn't uncomfortable for her. Does the wound look okay to you?L
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I see it, it is exactly where I mentioned above. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, below the skin there are 2 more layers of absorbable sutures. The swelling you are seeing is common and this is just the tissue slightly swollen probably from the sutures; it does not appear to be herniated. The incision looks perfect, I would not be worried. It looks fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, we were a little worried because she's been a little hyper as she's feeling better and probably moving about more than she should be. I was worried she had done some damage. Is it likely she would suffer any complications at this stage? We are a week on now. Also, is it possible she can pull those internal stitches out?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

It is not likely for complications to occur 1 week post surgery.

She can not pull the internal sutures without first opening the skin sutures. I would not worry about that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay perfect. She seems very happy in herself and is eating and drinking normally. She is due to have the stitches out in 3 days so if there's anything abnormal I'm sure they'll see it.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

There is nothing abnormal in the picture besides the minor swelling which is nothing to worry about. As far as what they will see I can not comment on what another person will see.