Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is on antibiotics and he has two different tablets

My cat is on antibiotics and he has two different tablets however I think I may have given him 30 mg of veraflox rather than the 15 he should have what harm will this do to him?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

How much does Bongo weigh, please? In the UK, dosing of the oral tablets is recommended at 3-4.5 mg/kg once daily. Pradofloxacin (Veraflox) appears to be quite safe in acute overdose situations with vomiting and diarrhea possible. Single oral doses of 100 mg/kg were tolerated well in young cats. There's no need to induce vomiting or treat in any manner. Return to 15 mg daily at the next scheduled dose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He weighs 4.8 tablets are 15mg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u really appreciate it he has been through a lot in the last two weeks he is lucky to be here

Thank you. 4.8 kg x 4.5 mg/kg = 21.6 mg 30 mg is an overdose but not a significant one as shown above.

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased to hear that he's doing well now. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let u know tomorrow how he is I am not even certain that I have but just got worried thank u again

I understand.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.