Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I found a clump of firm lumps under my dogs armpit. They

I found a clump of firm white lumps under my dogs armpit. They almost look like nettle sting. But he seems completely un bothered by them. Any idea what these could be? I have a photo.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I would like to see the photo, please. You can upload it by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK here they are. It's in an awkward place, sort of on his chest. They're localised, not pussy at all and firm.

Thank you! The image is a bit blurry but the "lumps" are most consistent with cutaneous inverted papillomas. These are benign tumors induced by infection of epithelial cells by papillomaviruses. They're most common in young dogs, most commonly found on the ventrum (underneath) and are self-limiting - they regress in 6-12 months unaided. Take a look in his mouth, please, for the more common oral papillomatosis which begin as smooth white papules and plaques and progress to verrocous caluliflower-like lesions. Let me know if you see any.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing in his mouth. Should we get these removed or should I keep an eye on them?

Thank you for checking. "Watchful waiting" is appropriate because they're expected to disappear unaided within 6-12 months. If these have been present for just a few days or weeks, more may appear. If they've been there for a month or more, it would be very unusual for more to pop up. The general rule for skin growths is if they enlarge at an alarming rate (double in size in a month, e.g.), ulcerate or bleed, or bother my patient or caretaker, they should be removed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great thanks for all your help.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.