Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 3 year old Labrador collapsed this morning on a walk -

My 3 year old Labrador collapsed this morning on a walk - it's warm and she may be dehydrated. Is it more serious
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How is she just now?

Did she seem to loose consciousness or faint? Any breathing changes?

Any paddling, tremors, or signs of weakness afterwards?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Any known health issues (ie heart)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is fine now thanks. Did not lose consiousness just sort of fell down - she was panting heavily.
Appetite okay, urinating often, stools solid.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am very glad to hear that Millie has recovered, as we are seeing quite a bit of heat stroke with the warmer weather this last week. As well, its good she didn't loose consciousness as we can see dogs with underlying heart issues really struggle with the heat and give themselves away during this season. In that case, do make sure her gums stay rosy pink (paling when panting can be a sign of respiratory issues) and moist. If they become dry/sticky or if she has any skint tenting then we'd be worried about dehydration.

Otherwise, as today is quite warm, plan to avoid walks during the mid day (aim for early morning or after it cools in the evening). And since she has had this do, plan to just make this evenings a short one. As well, do make sure she has access to water (canned food can be a way of sneaking more fluids in since its 35% water). And if she is appearing warm, hosing her off, offering her a kid's paddling pool (if she likes water), and putting a fan on for her can help combat the heat and try to keep her comfortable until the weather cools off next week.

Of course, any more of these episodes and we 'd want a check with her local vet. Some do have weekend hours and if they don't they will have out of hours contingencies. So, if we see another episode, you can ring the practice. If they are open, you can get her seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/careers/locums/what-will-i-need/) who are open all nights/weekends. But hopefully we won't need that for her.

Best regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - she's back to normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update,

That is grand and hopefully now that the weather is cooling we will see no more issues for Millie.

All the best & a lovely evening,

Dr. B.