Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My 9 year old min dachshund dog died 3 days after an

My 9 year old min dachshund dog died 3 days after an operation to wash out impacted sand in his intestines. His stomach was in stasis. I am concerned that I should not have agreed to thsis operation. Was there an alternative?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry for your loss. You and your family have my deepest sympathy and support.

Well, its a very difficult question to answer. Sometimes, sand can move through the intestinal tract.

However, it can get easily impacted.

I performed a procedure in past year where I had to remove massive amount of sand impacted in the intestinal tract. That was after the pet already ate a ton of doggie poop bags. Yes, poop bags.

So, if stomach is in stasis and there is a severe impaction, I don't see really any alternative to surgery.

I don't know ultimately what the cause of death was or how long the impaction was present, but I don't think you should feel any guilt, at all, about the decision to pursue surgery under these circumstances.

I hope that information helps

Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. My Husband is devastated as I am (6 months on)! Rudi did have an enlarged heart which made it difficult but we feel we killed him by allowing the op but I value your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I don't think a heart complication. It could have been a result of no improvement in stomach stasis despite relieving the obstruction or possibly a perforation in the small intestinal tract resulting in peritonitis. Very sorry. I don't think you had much choice.

Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did the dog you operated on survive? Also I do have another question about my other fog.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the patient I operated on survived. The patient presented to be within 48 hours of onset of illness and there was no stomach stasis or other complication.

If the other question about the other dog is straightforward i'll be happy to address here, but please remember to provide a feedback rating as I am not compensated until you do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do. I have a 12 year old female min dachshund who is not spayed and has developed lumps, 2 noticeable ones and a couple tiny ones around her nipples. My vet has not suggested I have them removed only a double mastectomy, which we did not want to put her through. I have now spoken to a lady who has dachys and they also had lumps, she had them removed and the dogs speyed and there have been no more growths. Should I get the lumps removed?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

No. I would have the lumps sampled.

Fine-needle aspirate test where the vet gets some sample by needle poke. There is a possibility that a lump or more are mammary cancer because she was not spayed, which increases the chances a lot!

If its cancer, and there are multiple lumps, it could have metastasized (spread elsewhere) already.

Definitely, DO NOT compare your pet's situation to the other one. The lumps are a very serious issue for a non-spayed female.

I would have them sampled before considering a massive surgery.

Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou very much for your advice. The needle biopsy was done but there was no definite answer. The Lab could not give a yes or no to cancer. I will do your feedback. Best regards Liz
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome Liz. In my experience, any firm or lumpy irregular growth next to or under the mammary gland on a non-spayed female is not a good sign.

You may have to request a biopsy instead or repeat cytology before surgery.

Good Luck