Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 11 yr cat he is a indoor cat. About a week ago he

Hello I have a 11 yr cat he is a indoor cat. About a week ago he poked his eye which almost held until he poked his other eye. Since then he keeps banging the eyes. But I feel his muscles are weaker because his not moving round. His eating passing 1,2s his happy. There's no swelling or discard
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about Fahrer's recent injury to his eyes and sudden inability to get around easily.

If only one eye were affected then an injury would be possible, although unlike dogs cats are much more careful and rarely injure their eyes. But given both eyes are affected and he seems hesitant to move much I am concerned that he is actually blind and is running into things because he cannot see.

There are several causes of sudden blindness in cats.

Because both eyes are affected it is less likely that this is related to an infection or a mass in his eyes themselves.

In older cats hypertension and secondary bleeding in the back of the eye with retinal detachment is a possible cause and probably the most common cause of sudden blindness. This can be secondary to kidney failure, hyperthyroidism or primary heart disease. Rarely it is related to a tumor of the adrenal glands that produces too much of a hormone called aldosterone.

It can also be due to a brain mass placing pressure on the nerves from the brain to his eyes.

Glaucoma (increased intraocular pressure) due to problems draining intraocular fluid is possible. It rarely happens simultaneously in both eyes, it usually occurs in one eye and then later in the other.

Ideally Fahrer would see a veterinarian as soon as possible. If this is related to hypertension the sooner his high blood pressure, and the disease process that led to it, is controlled the better chance he has of regaining some vision. There isn't anything that can be done at home at this point, especially without a diagnosis. If he could see his veterinarian today or tomorrow that would be ideal.

In the meantime I would keep him quiet and confined so he doesn't injure himself any further.

You can flush his eyes with sterile saline to keep them clean as well.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.