Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a six-year-old male cat called Felix. I am a bit

Customer Question

Hello I have a six-year-old male cat called Felix. I am a bit concerned as tonight he has started peeing very frequently every few minutes and straining , Tiny bits of Pee come out and has been blood in his year in also. I had noticed he was being slightly strange last week when going to the toilet so kept an eye on him but tonight he is displaying more symptoms. I have booked a vets appointment for 1015 Am tomorrow . He did do one big wee when I came home from work this evening so I know he has been but now he is going every few minutes and nothing much coming out, he is neutered. He is an indoor cat currently due to a house move two months ago , he has been indoors since January . He has wet and dry food . Is this an emergency or will he be OK to take him in the morning . Very worried mum .
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Kay, you're witnessing the stranguria (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine) and hematuria (blood in the urine) indicative of idiopathic (unknown cause) cystitis in cats. In the male cat, the urethra can become obstructed with the mucus and grit that his badly irritated bladder lining is forming. He then becomes the classic "blocked cat" and these cats can be lost if they can't urinate for as little as 36 hours. You mustn't wait until tomorrow morning. He needs to be attended to by an on-call vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you , on route now . I would not sleep a wink if I left him , poor thing . Many thanks again .

You're quite welcome. My best to Felix. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. May I have an update on Felix, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Felix is much better thank you. Def had a bladder infection. Was in vets overnight on Monday all day Tuesday On a drip as he was so dehydrated. Seems to be responding well to his medication and vet was happy with him this morning. Thank you once again for your prompt answer and advice. Regards ***** ***** Meows from mr Felix ������

What a good update! Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Give Felix a kiss for me.