Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience in general veterinary medicine
64354720

Why is my dog peeing my bed?

Why is my dog peeing my bed?
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to answer your questions today. Is she actively squatting and urinating in your bed or does it seem she is unaware of it, with urine just leaking out of her? Has she been spayed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is squatting then peeing and she is not spayed. She is one of two dogs I have and they are sisters.
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that answer. In that case I would suspect your dog (name?) has a urinary tract infection, causing her discomfort and urgency to urinate. It is very unusual for a dog to urinate where they rest. Urinary Tract Infections (UTI's) are not uncommon in young dogs. Sometimes, young dogs coming into heat can have an increased urinary urgency as well. What I would suggest is to get a urine sample, or your dog, to your Vet for them to check for infection. If you want to try to collect the urine sample yourself you can try to collect urine with a clean ladle and transport, in a clean glass jar, to your Vet. It is best to refrigerate the urine if it is going to be more than an hour before you can get the sample to your Vet.

Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.

It is also possible that your dog could have a bladder stone causing the problem, but she is pretty young for that problem

Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.

Most UTI's can be treated with a course of oral antibiotics

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I have the other dog checked as well? Also would spaying them stop this from happening again? I should also mention that both times she has peed, there was free access to outside.
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.

If you are sure which one of the two dogs is urinating in your bed, you should not need to check the other. UTI's are not contagious. If the cause is a pending heat cycle, then it should help. Otherwise it should not make a difference. I would recommend to spay your girls to reduce the risk of breast cancer, later in life.

Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.

I suspect the urgency to urinate causes her to pee where she is rather than go outside

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you for that. One last question...Any logical explanation as to why she chose my bed both times as opposed to other areas of the house?
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.

That's a little curious, but it may be that she gets most comfortable there, perhaps sleeping more deeply and is overcome by the urge to urinate, by "surprise". When an irritated bladder wants to empty, the urge can come quite quickly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much Dr. I was quite distressed by this but feel more optimistic about resolving it now. I was thinking in some way she was rejecting me.
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.

I don't think that is the case. She must be pretty uncomfortable to "soil her nest" Hopefully this will resolve with a course of antibiotics. I wish you luck with your two girls. If I can be of further assistance, feel free to ask. If not please accept my answers. Best wishes. Dr. Gregg