Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat she is 12 has a lump on the left side if her neck it

Customer Question

My cat she is 12 has a lump on the left side if her neck it hard but she id not in pain she is eating fine sleeping as normal
She has had antiiotics for two and is now on third weeks with a diffent one but it is taking a long time to go but does have green pus
She had tests done have come back as infection and she more tests have been done again yesterday
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has the lump been present?

Has her vet done any testing?

Was it filled with pus or are you just seeing a bit on the top?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lump which came overnight as it was not there the day before.Took Fleur to the vets given antibiotics for a week which helped
.The first results the vet did show an infection It has been there for about three weeks but has gone down in size
Saw the vet second time and more antibiotics to give for two weeks
I saw the vet Monday and she did blood and other tests while during the test a bit of green pus came from the wound and she put her on some different antibiotics which fleur has started get the results of the tests at the end of the week
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Now I have to say that I am concerned to hear that Fleur has been on three courses of antibiotics without this settling completely. Though it is good that her current vet has started doing further testing. That said, you will want to check that they have taken a swab of this lump’s pus for bacterial culture. That way you can know what species is present and ensure that the antibiotics that have been chosen this time will be effective.

Otherwise, if the bacteria found is sensitive to the medication but this just isn’t settling, then we may need to have a serious discussion with her vet about whether the pus is a secondary infection and whether the lump itself is something else (ie a benign growth, cancer, etc).

If there is any concern of these, then we may need them to aspirate cells from it or take a portion (biopsy) of the lump. This can then be analysed to make sure there are no abnormal cells here. Or if there are, then surgical removal may be indicated to remove both concerns and get this settled as quickly as possible for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please do rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )