Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have 2 mini lop rabbits who are 8 weeks old. If anything I

Hi, I have 2 mini lop rabbits who are 8 weeks old.
If anything I under feed them on pellets and their main source of food is hay.
My female lops tummy feels quite big, I am so paranoid about bloat!
She is eating, drinking and pooing as normal, should I be worried? Or is there anything I should do?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now there is nothing wrong with being vigilant with our rabbits; especially since they rarely show any signs of problems until issues are well advanced. That said, if she is eating normally and passing normal stool (volume and appearance), then we'd not be overly worried at this stage. Bloat in bunnies often accompanies changes in those 2 parameters and rabbits can be more subdued (since gut distension by gas hurts)

Still, we can try to just reduce this for her if she has some abnormal gas build up (which could be related to a shift in the normal gut bacterial population). To do so, we often will use a rabbit probiotic (ie Protexin Fibreplex or Biolapis) which most vets carry over the counter. These can just give those important good gut bacteria a hand and ensure it remains balanced. As well, you can even give her a small dose (125-250mg daily) of activated charcoal. This is OTC as well and jut binds gas in the gut. Though if you use this, be aware it will darken the feces (just so you aren't surprised). Finally, make sure you are limiting any cabbage type greens as these are know to cause gas build up in bunnies.

Overall, you are right to have your eye on this for Squidgey. We'd not be alarmed but can use the above to counter any gas that may be present and head off any gut bacteria issues. Though if you don't see this settling, we'd have to also consider fluid build up or even enlarged organs for these signs. And in that case, we'd want a check up with her vet +/- ultrasound to ensure there is nothing else present that we need to address for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )