Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 13 year old beagle had an enucleation this morning. She

My 13 year old beagle had an enucleation this morning. She is refusing food or water. I have not been able to give her the antibiotic or meloxicam Would it be OK to try and give the meloxicam once on an empty stomach ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, we do have a few options here. First, it is not ideal but you can use the Meloxicam once to see if you can get her comfortable and then eating for you. Otherwise, you can syringe feed her using a calorie rich diet (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, puppy food, etc) so that she has some food in her stomach prior to giving Meloxicam. Or you can even give her a dose of an OTC antacid ( Pepcid (More Info/Dose HERE) or Zantac (More Info/Dose HERE) before the Metacam to offset the stomach irritating side effects.

Of course in all cases, if she doesn't start eating after that dose then we'd need to keep syringe feeding until you can ring her vet. They can provide an alternative gut safe pain relief +/- appetite stimulants to give her a "push" to eat for you.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately all pharmacies are closed. I will try with a syringe and some high calorie food until tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Zantac or at least Milk of Magnesia (0.5tsp every 12 hours) can be purchased at the larger grocery stores, so there would still be an option to get those tonight.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.