Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My female 110 month -old large breed got in to a fight now

Customer Question

hi there
my female 110 month -old large breed got in to a fight now she has swelling fliud round the chest and thorat abit quiet but ate tyhis morning just
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does she have any open wounds?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Any breathing changes or struggles?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the wounds have heeled but she has a lot fliuid chest throat did not eat much yester but this morning has eaten her breathing went a bit slower but seens ok now her gums are pale pink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

First, if her gums look paler then normal, we need to keep a close eye on this as it can be a subtle sign of ongoing internal bleeding. Otherwise, when we see fluid swellings post fight, we have a few concerns. If this fight was long enough that wounds are healing, I'd be concerned that we have an infection/abscess here. Though if this has come up quite quickly then a hematoma (blood from vessel trauma) or seroma (serum based fluid sent by the body to fill dead space where the skin was pulled up from the muscle layer) would be more likely.

With this in mind, our approach with these tend to be supportive since the body will resorb seromas and even hematomas over time. So, as long as this doesn’t enlarge (a sign of continued bleeding or infection), we’d just want to give it time to settle. While doing so, you can warm compress this to help the body resorb the fluid quicker. If you do not have a warm compress at home, you can make one by filling a sock 2/3rds full of uncooked rice. This can be microwaved for a minute or so until warm. Shake it to distribute the heat (and do check its not too warm). This can be rewarmed as needed.

That said, if she is sore for her, you may want to speak to her vet about dog safe anti-inflammatories. This can reduce the inflammation component of the swelling and relieve pain. Just to note, do avoid any temptation to use human anti-inflammatories for your wee one (most are dog toxic and Aspirin thins the blood and could make a hematoma much worse). And if they see her for that and infection is a concern, antibiotics can also be dispensed at the same time to nip any brewing abscesses in the bud (which would be ideal if she potentially is slowing down, starting to feel unwell, and may have a fever starting).

Finally, since we can see appetite loss in dogs with throat trauma, do make sure to be tempting her with soft foods (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, or cottage cheese). As well, if she cannot eat much, calorie rich diets (ie puppy food, Hills a/d, etc) or even liquid diets (ie Dogsure, Clinicare) could also be used to keep her eating and give her body strength to heal and fight off infection.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks yeas the fluid is large round chest and a ball of it round the throat you can hold it
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome,

If it is a large ball and not shrinking, then an abscess would be a real worry here and we'd want to have this checked +/- antibiotics started for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.