Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My cat had diarrhoea for a bit about a week or 2 back, we

My cat had diarrhoea for a bit about a week or 2 back, we took him to the vets and we got tablets for him and got gastro intestinal food. He was ok for a bit but today has diarrhoea but now tries but can't poo and being sick. When he isn't lying around looking tired he has started to sit in corners and try and wee or poo there and I'm quite worried. I'm hopefully going to get him to a vet tomorrow morning but want to check if from this you believe would be OK through the night?
Jamie
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How often is he vomiting?

2- How many hours since the last time he vomited?

3- Is he strictly indoors?

4- Is he currently on any medications?

5- Any other symptoms?

6- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1. Once every hour or so (it is a clear fluid)
2. About 20 minutes ago
3.no he does go outside but has been kept in today
4. We gave him a pill the vet gave us before tonight but I'm not sure what it is (I believe it is for an infection)
5. He just seems to lie down/ no energy and trying to sleep
6. They are pink but quite pale but I'm not sure how they look normally do not too helpful sorry

1- Did the vomiting start before or after giving the pill?

2- What is the name of the pill?

3- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Before I'm not sure as my girlfriend got it and he is quite a big cat I'll try and find some vet documents that may have the weight on but he is big for his age

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That is a picture of the crushed pills if you know what they are

Friend, when we see diarrhea and straining to defecate it is likely a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). Whatever is causing the inflammation is also causing the vomiting. If your vet did not do xrays I would recommend you discuss with your vet about doing xrays as initial screening test in the morning to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). If you can not find pepcid ac leave him without any medication.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors in a cool room.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and xrays in the morning.

Note: Thank you for the picture but I can not recognize the pills.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That is brilliant thank you so much. I know it will be hard to say but do you think from the sounds of it he will be ok to wait u til the morning then?

Friend, I am uncertain without knowing the exact underlying cause. I am sorry. If he continues to vomit despite fasting I would have him checked by ER veterinarian.

You're welcome.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.