Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My six year old Cain terrier is coughing like she has

Hello my six year old Cain terrier is coughing like she has something in her throat but. Haven't seen her eat anything she shouldn't, she has had kennel cough before when she was one could it be this again?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please can you answer or is this just a duff site��
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If your sweet Maggie mae is otherwise healthy and eating well, this is most likely a Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough. This is a very contagious disease that causes a hacking cough so much so that it appears as if they have something stuck in their throat. This is often contracted at a kennel, groomer, or vets office because this disease is air borne. Since this disease is air borne, your gal can pick this up anywhere, even if she had had this before. Luckily, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own. Give Maggie mae 1 teaspoon of Robitussin DM per 20 pounds of her weight given every 8 hrs. This will calm down the cough so she is more comfortable. It is best to have your vet examine Maggie mae to be sure there is not something else causing this such as an infection or heart disease, especially since she is a bit older and this type of cough can be caused by other issues.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is robitussin cough syrup?
this is a cough medicine available at the chemist over the counter. It may have a different name there but it is very effective for the cough. Thank you so much for your kind rating. I hope Maggie feels better soon!!