Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Found a really strange red and ringed worm like thing in my

Found a really strange red and white ringed worm like thing in my dog's poo. About half the thickness of an earthworm, but can find no reference to a dog parasite that looks anything like this. He is also regularly on worming tablets. I cant even imagine what he might have eaten that may have passed through like this. I have taken a photo but no option to post a photo here. Any thoughts? We will get him to a vet but it is late Saturday. Otherwise he seems fully himself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just added photo

Mark, that wonderfully colored worm is called a ribbon worm. It's not a dog parasite. Please see image...

There's no need for a vet visit!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** reassuring. Are you 100% certain though? I can't see species that looks like this in the Uk but the dog did go to the beach last Wednesday, and i assume this is a marine creature. How on earth would he have eaten it though? Thank you

He didn't eat it - it would have been digested. It hitched a ride home and found feces to climb into. I don't know any other worm but a ribbon worm that looks like this and by the priniple of Occam's Razor his having going to the beach should be the clincher.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.