Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

After returning from the groomers today my dog appears very

After returning from the groomers today my dog appears very distressed, he is breathing heavily, going round in circles and constantly shaking his head, what can I do ?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Oscar. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you within the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Oscar's behaviour here could be due to anything from anxiety/stress related to his groom today, to skin irritation and pain, an anal gland issue, or something else entirely here (including a toxicity, or early gastroenteritis). You are certainly going to need to continue to keep a very close eye on your boy, and if his is breathing particularly heavily right now, you are best to get him seen by your local after hours vet immediately.

Please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

For now if your boy is irritated, then some Piriton may help to take the edge off. The typical dose for piriton in small dogs is half of a 4mg tablet twice daily (that's 2mg every 12 hours). As above however, if your boy is continuously panting and seems distressed, you really are best to get him seen now. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.