Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have an America Akita that us 12yrs old, this morning he

I have an America Akita that us 12yrs old , this morning he seemed fine , now he can't stand or walk , please can you advise me on what to do , kind regards
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Prior to this happening did he have trouble getting up from the floor or going up stairs?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No as I mentioned, this morning. He seemed fine , has had problems in the past , where he would sometimes stumble from the back , he has arthritis in is spine

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Diarrhea yesterday morning

1- Have you tried to get him up? If so, can he support his weight?

2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No , he's unable to support his own weight, just shaking all over then tumbles back down . His gums are pale

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when a dog losses the ability or is unwilling to stand or walk this could be caused by either a primary neuromuscular disorder like: Arthritis, a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc, etc. Or, he could have a systemic illness like: an abdominal tumor, infection, thromboembolic (stroke like), etc. to name a few causes. The fact that he has pale gums points more toward a systemic disease. Unfortunately in this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having him checked by nearest ER veterinarian tonight, do not wait. All of the above mentioned diseases carry a better prognosis when treated earlier. Attending veterinarian may need to do some testing like xrays and blood work to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thankyou

You're welcome. Please keep me posted.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The veterinarian, carried out a blood test , nothing was found , temperature normal, but she suggested stress on his heart , due to his heavy breathing , possible tumour , but couldn't understand why he had deteriorated so quickly. As he was unable to support himself, recommended that we put him to sleep . Said she couldn't see him ever getting back to health .
Thankyou again for your help
Kindest regards

I am sorry to learn he is not doing well. If your vet has not done so I would recommend xrays of the chest and abdomen. Many times there are certain diseases that are not reflected on the blood work.

You're welcome.