Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog who is 22kg has just swallowed a large worm tablet

My dog who is 22kg has just swallowed a large worm tablet meant for another dog.
She was already wormed two weeks ago.
The tablet she ingested today was designed for a dog from 17.5kg to 35kg.
Will it make her ill?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Good news!

This will do no harm since it is not an overdose for her. It is sooner then she needs worming but we do on occasion use an every 2 week (or daily depending on the wormer) treatment plan for some dogs. So, this won't cause any harm and if anything she may have a bit of stomach upset (though not likely if she tolerated her last dose fine). So, we need only keep an eye but would expect no issue here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It wasn't the same make if worm tablets. Two weeks ago my dog had her regular three month dose of worm tablets which I think was beaphor, the large one she just ate was VeloxA XL.
I am concerned about toxicit with the mix in tablets within two weeks.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

After two weeks and with you having using a Beaphar wormer, there isn't any risk here.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She doesn't need a vets visit then?
I should just keep an eye on her and feed her as normal?
Also, should I leave it longer than the usual three months befor I give her worm tablets again?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

If she were my patient, I would just have you keep an eye on her and potentially use a light diet (ie rice with chicken) if you thought she had a sensitive stomach. There isn't an indication to rush her in and since wormers don't have cumulative effects you would just worm as normal in 3 months.

Have a lovely evening,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much. That is a big relief to me.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

I am glad I could give you peace of mind here.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.