Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has an over active thyroid and ha s been given

My cat has an over active thyroid and ha s been given tablets for it first it was 10mg now its 15mg as the 10 was not working but she is still being sick changed her cat meat to the stuff the vet gave use still being sick
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Nickie, can you clarify for me what "not working" means? Did 10 mg daily not bring Cosmic's T4 (total thyroid blood test) into the normal range or it did but Cosmic continued vomiting?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The level stayed the same and the vomiting continued she is 17yrs old

Thank you for the additional information. When such a high dose is required we need to consider that Cosmic represents the very small percentage of hyperthyroid cats who don't have a benign adenoma on their thyroid gland but, instead, an adenocarcinoma of the thyroid gland. Has the effectiveness of the 15 mg dose been assessed yet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She has to go back in a couple of weeks to get tested again
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What is adenocarcinoma mean

I understand. If the 15 mg works to decrease the T4 into the normal range but Cosmic continues to vomit, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and its sequela small cell lymphoma need to be considered. Lymphoma is a cancer just as is adenocarcinoma. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your help

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.