Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My fourteen year old springer is licking her back end she

My fourteen year old springer bitch is licking her back end she has her hair cut was happening before all I can see is a small cluster of tiny blisters I have given her anti histamine for the last week to no avail. Have you any idea of any thing I can try. Yours Mary Keyte
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she licking only in one specific area?

2- Did she have the hair cut in this area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she does just lick in this area but she was prior to hair cut
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The groomer said the sore area was there at the time I was hoping the hair cut would improve it.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Mary, please give me a few more minutes, I am typing your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Mary, it sounds like may have developed what we commonly call a "hot spot," which is an area of inflammation secondary to excessive licking. It is important when treating this area that you stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. This is what you can try:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an E-collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up at your local pharmacy (chemist) "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.