Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I'm looking after a golden retriever. She had cancer before.

Hello.
She eats soaked food and they told me to give soaked food. The thing is I thought soaked food was just add water to the dry food and that was it. I didn't wait for it to soak properly. I've been doing this for 5 days now. I'm Portuguese hence the misunderstanding. I now read about bloating and how we need to wait for 30 minutes to soak it. I've read about the risks of bloating. I'm a bit scared now. Do you think I need to keep an eye on her and take her to the vet? She looks fine. She breathes a bit fast though and I don't know if it's because of the feeding.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for your concern about misunderstanding the concept of "soaking food" but hope to reassure you that you haven't caused any issues or problems for this golden that you're looking after.

There are a lot of risk factors associated with bloat (aka Gastric dilitation volvulus) and you can do everything right and yet the patient can still bloat. I speak from personal as well as professional experience about this!

Just because your didn't feed her the way you were told to feed her for five days, doesn't mean that she's going to develop bloat.

She doesn't need to be seen by a vet either.

Now that you know how you're supposed to feed her, then you'll do so but I wouldn't worry about when you didn't. If she was going to bloat because of this, she would have done so before now.

I doubt if her breathing is related to how you're been feeding her, though. If she's not in respiratory distress, then I'd just monitor her for now.

I hope this helps to provide peace of mind. Deb

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so much Deb. I feel much better now.
I was reading all the signs and I was getting scared because she scratched her bum on the grass twice since I'm looking after her and she usually doesn't do that and she was licking her bum as well. She pants white a lot but only when she wants my attention or when I talk to her. She does that when she's excited.
From now on I'll let it soak 30 minutes and only then I'll feed her.Thank youIsabel
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Isabel,

You're more than welcome; glad to be able to help since I suspect you were a little panicked about this!!

It sounds as if her anal glands may be full although this would have absolutely nothing to do with bloat or soaking versus non-soaking of her food.

If you're not familiar with these glands, the following link discusses them in great detail: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625

Best of luck with her now that you're on the right path with her feeding regimen:) Deb