Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My goldern retriver has end stage cardiomyopathy, and is on

hi
My goldern retriver has end stage cardiomyopathy, and is on duratic pill and cardio pills. He is not eating well, and I wonder if there is something you may recommend to get him to at least eat a little. Tried all the low sodium, boiled food suggestions, and he is totally off usual dried dog food. He takes two digoxin tablets a day. Vet put him on this just last week, yet would reducing him to one be an idea to try recover appitite.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If he is off food, then we do need to tread with care. This can be related to his heart condition if his breathing is worsening (which of course may mean we need his vet to modify his treatment) but it can also be related to nausea. The latter could potentially due to the new meds since it is a common side effect but of course could be unrelated.

With this all in mind, it would be ideal to ring his vet about dropping the Digoxin dose. I’d note advise doing it without speaking to them since we don’t want to compromise his heart or treat with too low a dose. As well, when discussing this you can also have them potentially dispense a strong anti-nausea treatment like Cerenia, Metoclopramide, or Zofran. As well, there are appetite stimulants that can help give him the push he needs to eat for us. Though just to note we do have to avoid our common OTC antacids here since they will react with the Digoxin and could cause harm.

Finally, while low sodium diets are ideal with his condition its even more important that he eat. So, you can try any of his old favorites. Or in a pinch we can offer or water down to syringe feed a calorie rich diet (ie Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet). Evne puppy food can be tried or Nutrical paste. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And again since eating is critical for life using these directly or by syringe feeding is an option as we await his vet to address this suspect nausea from the Digoxin.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )