Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Our dog was treated for diabetes after the vet set his

Our dog was treated for diabetes after the vet set his caninsulin at 12 units we have noticed his stomach sag and he is back drinking loads of water .he suffers with a bad back which they said can't be operated on because he is 11 .could he have cushings desease?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that was my initial consideration. The muscle weakening associated with the hypercortisolemia of Cushing's leads to a pot belly - the stomach sagging. Cushing's will cause both polyphagia (increased hunger) and polydipsia (increased thirst) and it will make regulating his diabetes mellitus quite difficult. The low-dose dexamethasone suppression test is the test of choice for determining if Cushing's is present. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave seems to be suffering with this a struggling with his back leg that is getting weaker .hard as it is I may have to make a decision that I have put off .thanks for your help

I understand, Paul. A myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) on top of diabetes and Cushing's is more than a dog should suffer with. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.