Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog got spayed 16 days ago and all has been fine. However

Customer Question

Hi, my dog got spayed 16 days ago and all has been fine. However the last couple of scabs have fallen off and a clear liquid is present.
There has been no change my dogs behaviour and she is happy, eating and drinking fine and does not appear to have raised temparature.
Is this normal for the the wound to leak slightly after this about of time?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is there any swelling?

2- Can you post a picture of the incision on this thread?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, maybe slight swelling but hardly noticeable.I have also added an image
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the picture. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it is not normal to have a clear discharge from the incision. However, the incision looks fine in the picture, except that I believe I am seeing one of the sutures knots protruding on the caudal aspect of the incision. The fluid could be secondary to a small seroma, basically, a small area of dead space that filled with fluid. This is not an emergency, but, I would have the family veterinarian examine the incision up close. In the meantime apply warm compresses 3-4 times a day. Do not let her lick the incision. She will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.