Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My cat has a small black pimple/spot/wart on his back about

Customer Question

Hello :)
My cat has a small black pimple/spot/wart on his back about 2-3 inches from the base of his tail.
It does not worry him at all, and he is a strong 7 year old ish (rescue boy so age is a guess), fit and happy boy except for a small heart murmer.
The vet suggests to remove and biopsy it, but also said it may just go away and be nothing.
I am obviously concerned about him under anesthtic because of heart murmer, but he has been under for his eye to be removed (cat fight) when he was rescued.
They will also do a full heart "scan" when removing the growth.
Thing is, he is going to be massively distressed by this whole proceedure and being away from me over night, I just dont know if its necessary to put him through all this.
Being a rescue boy he is copletely attached to me 24/7. Awww.
May I send a photo of his black spot?
Kate
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question, Kate. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today.

Yes, you can load a picture on this thread. To the left of your send button to reply there is an "add files" button. You can up load the photo through this icon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have attached a photo.
Please forgive typos!
Am rushing.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

How long has he had this growth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats a tricky one ... his coat is SO thick there it could have been a while. But at least a few weeks, maybe a month.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the picture. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Dr. Peter :)
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it is difficult to determine the exact type of growth on physical appearance alone as many different types of lumps have a similar appearance. What you are seeing could be a benign adenoma. But, it can also be a malignant melanoma. So, collecting a sample of the tissue to evaluate the cells under the microscope is essential for a definitive diagnosis. I agree with your vet, complete surgical removal and submitting tissue for histopathology is the best option. But, I also understand your concern about anesthesia in a patient with a history of a heart murmur. I should say, we can anesthetize a patient with a murmur we just need to do some testing like an echocardiogram and monitor during the procedure; we do this successfully all the time.

Now, going back to the lump, another option to determine the exact nature of the lump is doing what is called an FNA (Fine Needle Aspirate). This is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy or surgery and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results. I really do understand your concern, this is not an emergency. Take the time to discuss this option with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your speedy detailed response. I admit I was expecting you to say not to just "leave it" of course, and thanks for the reassurance on his heart murmur stitu.
As far as the FNA , when I asked (not in med terms like that), but if they could needle it for a sample, she said no. He would have to be put under. Hmmmm. I will deffo ask again now! That would solve everything. Perhaps because he was rather "lively" when she examined him she thought he wouldnt stay still.
Many thanks again, this was MOST helpful, and a relief its nothing to panic about and have done asap, so I will investigate the FNA further and if it CAN be done instead of an op, we will all be all the happier. :)
Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ps ... surely they could give him a sedative perhaps before needle?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes in very small lumps we can not do an FNA because we will not collect any cells. But, from the appearance in the picture I think an FNA can be done in this case. I would definitely consider this an option. If they try and did not succeed collecting cells, well, no harm has been done. But, if they do get cells then you will have your answer. It is worth trying, I would.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

You don't need a sedative to do a FNA. Unless he is such an angry patient that normally needs to be sedated. But, if your vet can perform an exam without sedation, they can do a FNA without sedation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Quite. My thoughts too.
He is a BIG strong boy mind you.
I'll send you a pic. LOL.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

He is gorgeous; enjoying the sun! Thank you for the picture. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is our sun and moon lol.
Cats Protection boy, rescued from a field with his eye hanging out, ears chomped up and missing bits, eye weeps from nose rip damage, tail fracture, full of air gun pelletes that roll around under his skin, and a heart murmer!
You would NEVER know what he has been through now tho (cept what you can see) ... I have had cats all my life but never one this affectionate. He is my shadow 24/7. Hence this over night away and sedation business is such a worry.
Just waiting on the Vet practice to phone me back, I'll keep you posted.
Kate
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Oh my goodness, poor little guy. Amazing, though, as in humans sometimes those pets that have suffered the most are the ones that turn to be the best and most affectionate. God bless you for taking him.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. But it comes naturally, crazy cat lady and all that LOL.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fingers crossed they can get enough cells. FNA tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Fair enough. I will have you in my thoughts and prayer tonight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks again! :)
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Result is in ....
(FNA worked) :)
"cutaneous basal epithelial neoplasm"
Recommend they remove just to be sure.
Looks like I will have to leave him in over night after all.
Sigh, it was worth a try tho.
Many thanks again.
Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ps ... couldnt say if was benign or malignant etc.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Kate, I am glad the FNA worked; wish it would have been something that didn't need removal. But, at least the pathologist couldn't confirm malignancy which is really good. Thank you for the update.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They want the whole wee beasty to be sure for testing.
Fair enough, I would never chance such a thing, and its most unlikely its anything nasty.
So I gather.
He has never had a proper heart scan either RE: murmur, so might as well have that too at same time.
Mummy and her Admiral Nelson are in for a bit of a battle next week!
Alas, there will be parting tears, and long hours at sea away from eachother, but we will weather it.
Somehow lol.
Pip pip all will be tickety boo!
(He has the brave Zorro factor too).
Hehe.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

My goodness, he is soooo handsome! :)

I am not aware of the type of setting your vet has, but, perhaps you can talk them into letting you keeping him home overnight and dropping him off early on the day of the surgery. All you need to do is remove the food and water over night. All diagnostics should be done days before surgery, so, the day of surgery is just prep and go. So, it is something to consider.

Keep me posted, I will have you in my thoughts and prayer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ps .. no I did NOT put him in costume!
lol .. was an "enhanced" photo by an artsy soul on a birthday card for me.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Okay. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah. The problem there with Nelson food situ ....
He would go manic, quite insane, would NOT understand why he cant have his "nibboos" during the night, let alone dinner or breakfast!!
(Dry crunchies small dose in the night twice, autofeeder, which of course was a waste of time so I press the button open myself LOL) ... WET food 10pm dins before hand and again at 7-8 am etc. ....
Yes its a routine formed when we got him as he was so freaked out about food in general (feral abused X farm cat etc) .. that now if he was HERE over night and no food, forget it!
He would be even more freaked out and not understand that at all.
Hence its better he goes in night before.
And hopefully will mean that they can do everything the earlier the better (barring any emergencies obviously with other animals, ps I am in a mega holiday area, so the practice is over run at mo at times right now. Doggies falling off cliffs and cats being hit by cars and such like :(( )
The Vet lady (new one to Nelson and me, but SO proud and delighted we all were with his FNA ordeal).. phoned me personally to explain. She will DO the deal and a heart guy will sort the other stuffs.
Hehe made her SPELL out his results.
Bloody medical mumbo jumbo. lol.
Anyway, its best, ***** ***** ideal, but if he was here without his niboos, and meaties for all those hours?? .. NO way. Even more stressful.
Keep you posted till my money runs out.
LOLOL
X - Kate
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I understand now, yes, best if he stays overnight. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya.
But its going to be a loooooongggg night and day!
Lol x
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dear Dr. Peter,
Just thought I's give you the final update.
Nelson had the tumour removed and it was benign :))))).
Phew.
The wound is healing perfectly, he is delighted to be able to have a little closely watched stroll in the garden again
(see pic), and all is well on this Admirals ship once more.
The heart scan came back with a very slight cardio myopathy, but nothing to worry about for now at any rate.
Another scan in 6 months.
Thank you again for all your help and advice.
Kate and "The Admiral, Nelson"
xxx
(cant seem to add a the pic, oh well, Im sure you get the "picture")
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ahh, now its letting me lol.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Hello Kate, :) that is GREAT NEWS! So happy to learn everything went well and he is back home. I love the pics, I think he loves them too ;)

Thank you for the update, Kate, that is the type of news I love to hear. Nice talking to you; kind regards ***** ***** Admiral! :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure Dr Peter. X
(Nelson goes "prrrrrrrrp - trillll" too)
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. :)