Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 8yr old staff has possibly a damaged ligament in his rear

My 8yr old staff has possibly a damaged ligament in his rear leg knee, vet is talking about an operation he is on anti inflammatorys and rest for 10 days, do yous have any other advice to help him, I'm very wary of ops as my last staff went in for neutering and was a bleeder, had a terrible time and died two weeks later
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Oh my!! That is a terrible story about your last staff....because of this, your vet would run blood panels including coagulation screens prior to surgery to be sure that this will not happen.

If this is a total tear of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL), this will never heal. Your guy will be in severe pain all of his life and it is crucial that you have this procedure done for him so that he is not in pain. Hopefully, you will have your guy for many years to come and it is better to be without pain. I know you are worried but as long as all of the precautions have been taken prior to surgery, your guy will do well. If this is not done, he will be on long term anti inflammatory medications just to ease his pain and this can take a toll on his other bodily systems....the surgery is best for your guy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your guy feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!