Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 3 year old jack Russell has a rash on her stomach &

My 3 year old jack Russell has a rash on her stomach & around her legs, it doesn't seem to bother her too much but it looks ugly & raw in places. She has been bathed with medicated shampoo but doesn't seem to help what should be my next step?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if your lass has a raw rash on her stomach and around her legs, we do have a few concerns. Most often this will be a moist dermatitis but we can also see bacterial infections (pyoderma) arise this way. Often these can get quite raw and damage the skin, so we do want to be proactive here for your lass. To start, if the medicated shampoo hasn't helped and if this is severe, then it would be ideal for her local vet to examine this and start her on systemic/oral antibiotics +/- steroids to treat this from the inside out. Though if there are only small patches and they aren't severe, you can try to be more aggressive with your supportive care. Ideally, we'd want to be spot bathing the affected areas 2-3 times daily with a dilute antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine or salt water). Afterwards, the area should be pat dry and an OTC antibiotic cream can be applied. If she is licking the area, then she may need an e-collar for the short term or you can cover these with a small t-shirt +/- boxer shorts (turned backwards so there is a hole for her tail). These will provide a breathable cover to prevent further self-trauma (often what worsens these kinds of lesions).

Finally, if she has any irritation with this then an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And of course, if this is severely irritating for her the steroids can be used to counter the inflammation and itchiness for her.

Overall, her skin lesions do raise a few concerns and if the shampoo isnt' helping then we need to be more aggressive in our care of her skin. So, the above would be our next steps and you could use an emollient shampoo (ie oatmeal based, Episoothe, etc) as well. But if she isn't settling then treating from the inside out with oral medication would be ideal.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )