Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 4 year old lhapso has a pink lump at the bottom oh her

My 4 year old lhapso has a pink lump at the bottom oh her chin which is clearly itchy as she has been rubbing it on the carpet x this came up 2 days ago and as she suffers from cysts periodically I'm thinking it's a cyst however it's like blood is ready to burst through as St the very bottom on the lump furthest away from her chin is bright blood red in a small spot her eating playing etc is as per normal x can you give me a rough idea of what u think x
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Sharon, can you upload a photo(s) of this lump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm hoping this sends x

Thank you. That's the characteristic appearance of a histiocytoma - a benign neoplasm of mononuclear cells derived from epidermal Langerhans' cells (sorry for the pedantry). It's common in dogs with highest incidence in young adults younger than 4 years of age. It usually manifests as a solitary, rapidly growing, firm, well-circumscribed, erythematous (reddened), raised, alopecic dermal nodule that ranges from 0.5 to 4 cm in diameter. Lesions may be ulcerated and occur most commonly on the head, ear pinnae, and legs. Observation without treatment is reasonable because most lesions regress spontaneously within 3 months. Surgical excision or cryotherapy is curative for lesions that don't regress spontaneously.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. Here's an image of another histiocytoma:

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. Applying an over the counter hydrocortisone cream thrice daily may control the itch and hasten remission of this. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.