Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My Labrador had lots of browny/red discharge in his right

My Labrador had lots of browny/red discharge in his right ear. I used some dog ear cleaner and cotton wool to clean it which seems to aggravated it and now he's constantly shaking his head. Is there anything I can do to relieve the irritation until I can get him to a vet tomorrow?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he scratching the ear with his legs?

2- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He hasn't been scratching with his legs but he does run the affected ear on my hand at any given opportunity. It's been on and off for about 4 weeks now, clearing up and then flaring up again.
Usually when I clean his ears he is fine afterwards but tonight he is really irritated by something.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am sorry that Jack is not feeling well. It sounds like he has an ear infection as you already know. When the ear is very irritated it is best to avoid over the counter ear cleaning solutions. I would recommend for tonight you clean his ear with plain warm water and cotton. Once the ear is cleaned you can apply a small amount of a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Follow up with your veterinarian for a prescription topical medication.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.