Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 14 week old tea cup jack russell puppy. She has

Customer Question

Good morning. I have a 14 week old tea cup ***** ***** puppy. She has lovely floaty ears but after a fright last week from uncontrolled large dogs one has stuck up. How long i get it to go back to its original flopped over place please? Many thanks kind regards Sian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry should say how..can i get it back if original place
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I understand that you preferred Poppy's ears in a folded over position.

Many dogs in breeds that eventually have erect ears start with ears that flop over at the tips. That's because ear cartilage strength is usually not at adult strength until 14 to 16 weeks of age. Although this seemed to come about with a frightening episode it is entirely possible that one or both of her ears were going to be erect eventually anyway.

Dogs that have weaker cartilage won't have ears that fully stand, so if her ears weren't standing at 8 months of age they probably would remain floppy for life.

If you really want her ears folded over you can try to "train" the ear into a folded over position, but it may not work. I have had some owners use weights glued to their pup's ear tips to get them to stay folded. This works best when they are younger, so if you'd like that it is worth trying now as it won't hurt her. Here is a link to an example: http://www.showdogstore.com/cherryknoll-earweight.aspx

Best of luck with Poppy, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful I would appreciate an update on your pet, thank you, ***** *****