Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our Syrian hamster is about 14 months old, she seems to have

Customer Question

Hi, our Syrian hamster is about 14 months old, she seems to have aged very quickly over the last week or so and earlier than past hamsters.
She is eating less and is much less active but has still seemed happy to be held, played with etc.
However, for the last 2 days she really seems to want to stay in bed, her breathing seems quite fast and when we woke her last night to check on her she was happy to be held and stroked but when we popped her back in her cage she was very wobbly, it was like her legs gave way at times.
She's not eating much dried food although will happily take little pieces of fruit and veg and eats those (not hoarding them).
I haven't seen her drink and have tried to give her water but she doesn't seem interested. She is going to the toilet although much less than normal. I don't know if this is old age and we should keep her at home and do all we can to keep her comfortable or if we should take her to a vet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Do you think she is breathing faster then usual for her?

Any increased noise (ie wheezing, coughing, congestion, etc)?

Any chance of trauma or exposure to toxins/chemicals?

Is it stool or urine that she appears to be passing less of? Any diarrhea or does her cage is wetter faster?