Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My lhasa, we think has cushions, and her sight has

Customer Question

My lhasa, we think has cushions, and her sight has diminished really fast in the last two days, to the point she's walking into doors and large objects. Our test results are not back for probably 5 days, is there anything we can do to help save her sight. As I've just read about sands, and it says the loss is permanent. Please can you advise me what's best to do..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it should say SARDS.. That I've read about
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Poppie's best chance to preserve sight is to have her blood pressure reduced if she's hypertensive as I would expect if she's cushingoid. Please have both her systemic blood pressure and intraocular blood pressure checked at your earliest convenience. If she's hypertensive prompt administration of a hypotensive agent is indicated. If her intraocular pressure is elevated, she's glaucomatous and will need prompt treatment to reduce that pressure. SARD is a consideration and you're correct, there's no treatment for it. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything noticeable in her eyes we can look for poppies eye, I will indeed take poppie this evening to.arrange a blood pressure check, If poppie has cushingoid, what would you suggest the best treatment, if it's operable. Would you go that way or given her age and that's she put 3kilos on in 6 weeks, should we follow a medication route. Thanks for your time

You're necessarily constrained to observing if the eyes are "red" versus "quiet. Red eyes are inflamed while quiet eyes aren't or, at least, won't appear so with the naked eye. The differential diagnoses vary between red and quiet eyes. Ultimately, eyes need to be examined with an ophthalmoscope and special intrumentation found in the office of a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist. Testing for Cushing's can also tell us if the Cushing's is due to a pituitary tumor or, instead, and adrenal gland tumor. The former is usually treated with trilostane. The latter is best treated with surgery. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You're quite welcome.