Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My ferret recently escaped and went through sting nettles he

my ferret recently escaped and went through sting nettles he now has white and black/grey spots on his head and neck is this a reaction to the nettles?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Does he appear itchy with these?

How long ago did he go through the nettles?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its a bit hard to see and he does not appear to be itchy but my other ferret has them too now
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it was about wednesday he went through them
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Now stinging nettles tend to cause our pets less issue then they do when we are in contact with them. This is because their dense coat tends to protect them from the irritating chemicals in the plant's hairs. It possible to see a few stings if they do run through quite a bit but not to the degree you are describing/showing. As well, they should be irritating (causing rubbing/itching), should not be causing issues this long since exposure, and should not have been something the other ferret could have caught.

Instead, based on what I can see in your photo and all of these considerations, we'd be more concerned about mites. This is one of the few persisting causing for these signs that could be readily spread to the other one. Fungal infections (like ringworm) would be the other concern but usually cause hair loss with skin crusting.

Therefore, we'd want to consider treating for these. To do so, your local vet should be able to confirm our concerns but most importantly dispense an Ivermectin based spot on anti-mite treatment (ie Xeno). Some do offer this over the counter as long as owners have a weight for their ferrets, so you can ring your vet to see if they will dispense this for your wee ones. Generally speaking, we will use this 2 with 2 weeks between each dose to make sure we remove all of the mites (adults and maturing young). Of course, if the signs persist, then his vet can do a skin scrape to make sure no fungi is present +/- start further systemic treatment if needed to clear this for your lad.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok i'll take them to the vet tomorrow thank you verry much do you have any tips on how to litter train them?