Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a cavalier he is 8 years old, when walking him today

hi I have a King Charles cavalier he is 8 years old, when walking him today he tripped as he was running, ever since then he has been limping and finding it hard to put weight on his foot! Do you think he may of broken something? I do t see any bone sticking out but he won't really let me play around with touching his leg too much!
As it's a bank holiday I'm worried about what will happen if I can't get him to a vet till tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I'm really worried about him
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I do need to ask a few questions to help guide you.

Which leg is he limping on?

Is any joint in that leg appreciably swollen, or is the angle of that leg different compared to the same leg on the other side of his body?

Do his nails look straight, or are any twisted or bleeding at the base?

Is he bearing any weight on his leg?

How long ago did this occur?

Any history of previously being lame on any leg?

Can he lay down and get up comfortably?

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Thanks for your patience with all of my questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's his right front leg he is limping on. He will put a bit of weight on the leg but not much! He seems to be putting less on as time has gone by. He did it earlier today when we were out walking around 2 oclock. He has not had previous issues with being lame. He can lay down but he doesn't seem that comfortable! When he did let me old the leg it felt a like it may slightly be at a angle rather then straight but he won't really let me see he has eaten a a little and had a little water he's not made whimpered in pain or anything like that
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much.

If he is weight bearing at all then a fracture is much less likely. And the fact that he can get up and down, even though he may be struggling, and is willing to eat and drink are all good signs as well.

But that doesn't mean that he isn't hurting. Soft tissue injuries can be quite uncomfortable too.

He may be holding his leg at a different angle in an attempt to avoid putting pressure on it. When I asked about angulation I meant a sharp change in position/bend compared to his other leg (which would indicate a fracture that didn't break the skin).

So at this point I would be concerned about a soft tissue strain to one of his joints or that he managed to wrench his neck when he stumbled such that the nerve roots to that leg were stretched and are causing him pain.

I don't think that he needs emergency treatment today necessarily.

I would make him rest as much as possible. The more he moves around the greater chance he has of injuring himself further or hurting another leg trying to take weight off his sore one.

He should be carried in and outside, and leash walked to eliminate to keep him from being overactive. Indoors he should be closely confined to one room. No stairs or jumping.

I would elevate his food and water bowls to head height so he doesn't have to bend.

If you can find the sore spot icing it with cold packs for 10 minutes at a time several times today should help.

Then if he isn't much better by morning have him examined by his veterinarian.

I do not recommend giving him any over the counter medication because that will interfere with more effective medications that your veterinarian can prescribe tomorrow, and we want to see what rest alone does for him overnight.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for advice
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, please let know how your pup fares, thanks Dr. Kara.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took chip to our vets this morning and it seems he just has soft tissue damage. Which I am very relieved about! Thank you for all your advice yesterday. It really helped.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, thank you for the update. I am pleased to hear that is was indeed a soft tissue and Chip should be back to himself in time. Have a great week, and thanks again for letting me know how things turned out for him, Dr. Kara.