Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a toy poodle shes 3 years old, the last 3 days she

Customer Question

Hi I have a toy poodle shes 3 years old, the last 3 days she has weed randomly once a day ,twice on the kitchen floor while back door was open, so took her to the vets yesterday they think she has urine infection so she's on antibiotics one tablet twice a day she has had 3 tablet so so far and tonight after a long walk she sat on my lap and Weed!!! I just don't understand why ? And it's very clear and scent free please help I'm worried
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did the urine come out while she was sitting involuntarily?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Do you know if the other times the urine leaked out as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am sorry Molly is having urine accidents, I know how confusing and frustrating this could be for you. In response to your question, when the urine leaks out this is called "urinary incontinence." Certainly, this can be caused by a urinary tract infection. There are many other causes. A very common cause of urinary incontinence in female dogs is a weak urethral sphincter (the structure that holds the urine in the bladder). Treatment is a daily medication (proin) that acts directly on the sphincter making it stronger and preventing the incontinence. Other common causes are bladder stones, neurological, etc.

I would recommend you continue on the antibiotics as prescribed by your family veterinarian. If no improvement within 48-72 hours I would discuss with your vet about doing a urine culture and sensitivity to rule out a urinary tract infection or make certain you are using the correct antibiotic. Then, consider doing a trial of the medication (proin) described above.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ,If I take a urine sample to my vet while she is on antibiotics will it give a correct reading ?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

No, it won't because that urine will be contaminated. Your vet needs to collect a sterile sample via a cystocentesis. What they do with that urine is try to grow any underlying bacteria. If they do grow a bacteria then they will also provide a list of antibiotics that the bacteria is sensitive too. If they don't grow any bacteria then this is not related to an infection and likely a weak urethral sphincter as described above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. :)