How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 20606
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

My 7 cavapoo has just eaten a chocolate covered raising.

Resolved Question:

My 7 kilo cavapoo has just eaten a chocolate covered raising. Just the one. Should I be concerned?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Approx 30 minutes
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Now in regards ***** ***** question, we do have to be concerned here. The chocolate dose is negligible but the raisin in a worry. This is because the toxin in grapes/raisin has not been isolated (so scientists don't have a safe/dangerous dose) but we know that some dogs can develop kidney failure with even one raisin.

Therefore, if Betty just had this, we need to get it out of her stomach now. To induce vomiting, you can use plain soda crystals. You just want to take a small handful, mix it with water to make a paste, roll that into a ball, and put this right in the back of the throat for him to swallow. This usually will trigger vomiting.. If it doesn't or you do not have soda crystals on hand, then you can have him seen urgently by your local ER vet so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise, we'd need to monitor her closely but if we see increased thirst/urination or watery urine; then those would be signs that this has harmed her kidneys and she may need supportive care for this. But really we do need to be proactive here to avoid that risk. So, I would suggest using the above now or ring her vets. Even if they are closed most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice as they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet, you can find one local to you via the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends and can help us keep her from harm.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B. and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the advice. Betty is registered with a local vets practice so I will call their out of hours service. Thanks again for the answer and information.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That would be the safest option for Betty to ensure this causes no issue for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.