Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 10 year old female Staffordshire Terrier. Recently

Customer Question

Dear Sir / Madam, I have a 10 year old female Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Recently she underwent surgery for removal of low grade skin carcinoma which we were assured had no spread and they had caught it in time. However, since this time my dog has had a dry, hacking cough. She has had various xrays that were sent to an Oncologist who advised she does not have lung carcinoma. She is now on her 3rd week of medication for her cough. It is not getting any better. The vet said she does not have any kennel cough. This dry cough only occurs in the early hours of the morning or when she gets excited. I have noticed that she tires more easily during exercise since her operation. Please can you shed some light on this?
Sharon.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Nanuck, Sharon. Coughing that develops shortly after being intubated for anesthesia is usually due to tracheal inflammation from the intratracheal tube whose cuff may have been over-inflated or the tube traumatized the trachea when inserted or removed. This type of cough usually abates within a few days unless the inflammation becomes secondarily infected. Coughing that develops within 3-10 days of being hospitalized is usually due to infectious tracheobronchitis contracted while hospitalized (a nosocomial infection). This type of cough should abate within 1-3 weeks of the onset of signs even untreated.

I see that the oncologist reviewed the films and found no evidence of metastasis but did the oncologist comment on other changes in the chest such as increased brochovascular markings indicative of a infectious or sterile bronchitis? Did Nanuck's heart and trachea appear normal in the X-rays?

When X-rays don't reveal the source of such a cough, more invasive diagnostics are considered such as a tracheal/bronchial wash which allows us to examine the cells in the respiratory tract and to culture the wash looking for specific infectious agents we might treat. Scoping of the respiratory tract might be needed as well. Which medications have been prescribed to Nanuck, please?