Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog has a lump just below her tummy skin

Customer Question

my dog has a lump just below her tummy skin
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now we do always need to tread with care when our older dogs have lumps. There are benign ones that are not worrisome like lipomas (fatty lumps), cysts, or benign growths provided they aren't damaging the skin as they grow. But there are also a range of nasty cancers that can arise at Jessie's age and are safest removed before they can spread or cause her bother. That said, before rushing to surgery an aspirate is very important. This can let you know what is present and whether that operation is necessary. So, if your vet did not perform a fine needle aspiration (FNA), then you are best to request one be done or consider a second opinion. That way you can know what is present and thus be able to make an educated decision to whether this needs to be removed urgently or is something that can just be monitoring at her age.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.