Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have an injured hedgehog that was out this morning.it is

i have an injured hedgehog that was out this morning.it is dragging its back leg. i have tried every available number for advice but only answer machines. i have it contained and it is sleeping. my concerns are, what if this is an old injury, what if this hog has babies. i am unsure about turning it upside down to look for the sex, I don't want to distress it any further.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with this poor wee one today.

Based on what you have described, I am concerned that this little one is in pain with that back leg. There may be a fracture or at least muscle strain/sprain. In this case, you are right to provide basic first aid but since he is suffering, do consider taking him directly to your closest vet. Most have Saturday morning office hours and he can be turned over to them. They can provide care over the weekend and get him to a rehabilitation centre on Monday. To find an open vet, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) would be an option since they are open all nights/weekends. That way we can get him into care for pain relief and ensure he is comfortable and not suffering over the weekend.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )