Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I would very much like to buy an ordinary Scottish hedgehog.

I would very much like to buy an ordinary Scottish hedgehog. I live in the countryside (EH37 5RJ) and have a slmall enclosed garden, where I have shortened the door. Is it allowed to keep hedgehogs privately, I am always at home (OAP).
Would you please advise me.
Regards, ***** *****
17, Edgehead road
Pathhead, Midlothian.
***@******.***
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

In regards ***** ***** question,while African pygmy hedgehogs can be kept as pets the native species should not. That said, if you are keen to have a hedgehog living in your garden, the best option is to either make your garden friendly and accessible for those wild ones in your neighborhood. Or you can ring your local vet for the number of your local wildlife rescuer or do contact them directly. They may have some rescue hedgehogs that are not suitable to be released into the wild (ie injured, tame, etc) and that could be a means of obtaining one to care for. As well, they could be a great source for possibly getting involved with the local hedgehog rescue

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for an extensive answer. I had been wondering seeing small hedhehogs on Facebook, now I understand. First winter spent her the gardener found a hibernated hedgehog close to the outside heater, and the garden is small but wild, so in spring there were a few small hedgehogs. It was a great feeling. Never gave food, did not know much. ( I am Norwegian). I do not think I will take an African pygmy, but def. take contact with vet or wildlife. Great answer. Will use service again. Thanks.