Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog won't eat she's lethargic she won't go for a walk

Customer Question

My dog won't eat she's lethargic she won't go for a walk because if I pI'll her lead she screams so worried
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Does she seem reluctant to lower her head? Or does her neck seem sore?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've checkn her belly all ok but when I try to take for walk and pull her lead she screamsHertfordshire bly
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Her gums are red and sticky
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She hasn't eaten anything contraband so ice been hand feeding her
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
See dud drink water two days ago and got suck
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Are they redder then usual for her?

What do you mean she "got suck" with the water?

And I appreciate she screamed when you pulled the lead, but does she have neck pain if you move her neck now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Her neck seems fine but I pressed her tummy again in their middle and she groaned I'm on my phone so sorry but she's drinki ng but not eating I hand feeding her
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She doesn't want to walk she just lies down if I take her to their water she takes a couple of lic then wants me to lift her to sofa she's frighten to jump to their sofa and not sure about her breathing seems a little laboured
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Now I have to say that I am quite worried about your lass. This reaction on the walk raises real worries of a neck, spinal, or brain based issues. Though if her neck can be fully moved without pain but she is groaning with belly pressure, then pancreatitis, severe gut infections gut twists, blockages, and ingestion of harmful items could also cause the signs you have reported.

Now with her being so sore, we need to tread with care. Ideally, we'd want her seen now for that. Its worth noting that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get in now. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet, you can find one local to you via the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends. That way we can have her pain treated and start anti-nausea medication +/- appetite stimulants to help get her eating.

If there is any delay in having her seen, we can at least try to help with her lack of appetite. To do so, you can use an OTC antacid (ie Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)) and tempt her with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

Overall, this pain reaction has be quite concerned about your lass. If she were my patient, I'd want her seen without delay since pain reactions often are signs of serious issue. So, its worth ringing her vet. Any delay and you can at least start supportive care to settle her stomach and see if you can get her eating. But if she doesn't settle or shows any more signs of dehydration besides her gums or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her and start injectable anti-nausea medication , gut safe pain relief, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )