Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I TOOK MY 10 YEAR OLD GERMAN SHEPARD ON A WALK THIS MORNING

I TOOK MY 10 YEAR OLD GERMAN SHEPARD ON A WALK THIS MORNING BUT THE WALK ENDED UP IN THE MOORS WHICH SHE LIKES BUT THE WALK WAS TOO LONG 8 MILES. SHE SEEMS VERY STIFF THIS EVENING AND HAS BEEN WIMPERING BUT IS NOW SLEEPING. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN GIVE HER TO EASE HER JOINT PAIN, WHICH I ASSUME THATS WHY SHE WAS WIMPERING. WHILST TRYING TO SLEEP SHE KEEPS MOVING HER FRONT LEG? O YOU THINK SHE IS IN A BIT ON PAIN?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

Poor Lola!

Based on your history, it does sound like walk has been too much for her and that she now has discomfort. Therefore, we will need to rest her and Loxicom from her vet (you can ring the out of hours service for the vet practice if she is very sore) would be indicated here.

In the meantime, you can soothe those sore joints and relax her muscles by warm compressing those sore limbs. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Otherwise, though long term options for our elderly dogs, we often find glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs with underlying arthritis (the likely cause for Lola's signs). This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and examples of ones we typically use for dogs include Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in dogs with mild signs and would be worth considering here. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. As well, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lass.

Overall, Lola does sound sore after all that walking. Therefore Loxicom from her vet is ideal and the above would also be of benefit (though slower acting) for her as well.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she's relaxed now so ill nip to the vets in the morning for the loxicom and give her some before I head off to work. Thank you for the information on the supplements ill will get some from the pet shop and start giving her this as I think she does have a little arthritis. Is there any brands you would suggest or any brands I need to stay away from?Lynne
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Good, I am glad she is and that is fine.

In regards ***** ***** the ones I noted above (Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet) tend to be the ones I use in my own patients. You can find them quite reasonably priced online if your vet doesn't' carry them. There aren't really any I avoid but Bob Martin products in general tend to be poor in quality.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )