Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My german shepheard missed her yearly jabs by about six

hi my german shepheard missed her yearly jabs by about six months will she have to start them again
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

Which vaccines are you asking about? DHPP, Lepto, Lyme, Rabies?

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the ones she had as a puppy
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

That would be the DHPP which stands for Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo and Parainfluenza.

Please give me a minute to type up a response for you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok no probs
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Every vet practices differently and might have different protocols for their patients, but I follow the vaccination guidelines as recommended by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA).

Essentially, this means that after the puppy series, my patients are vaccinated every three years for these diseases but I don't worry too much if they're late in getting them as adults by a few months.

The reason being that there's evidence to show that vaccines are actually effective for many years which is why the recommended time interval was increased from one to three years as a recommended protocol by AAHA; therefore, I'd give her the vaccine with no hesitation and not restart the series.

I hope that this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's great thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

You're more than welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Deb