Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog seems in pain under rib cage, as temp and very tired?

Customer Question

My dog seems in pain under rib cage , as temp and very tired ? Been vets twice and there gave him pain relief and antibiotics but I'm not satisfied anyone help me pls
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
His temp was 40.5 this morning he's off his food and only drinking small amounts , when I pick him up he whimpers seems under rib cage , no sickness as yet , he's very lathergic , been the vets this morning but he that nervous he doesn't let them know we're he's in pain but he does for me
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He's only a small
Breed chihuahua and 11 month old , taking back the vets In morning but there just seem
To give him pain relief injection and 1 injection of antibiotic incase he's got infection , he's got worse as the day as gone on
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there anyone there who can give me some advice and is there anything I can be doing for him
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jasper, Julia. Vocalizing when being lifted can indicate pain in Jasper's back or abdomen. Although the rib cage encloses the chest cavity, it wouldn't be easy to induce pain originating in the chest cavity by lifting him. His fever is quite high and enough to cause the discomfort you're seeing. Fevers arise from inflammation and not necessarily the inflammation associated with infection.

The proper manner in which to proceed is to stop treating symptomatically and investigate Jasper further with diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and X-rays of his chest and ultrasound of his abdomen. You should know within 24 hours why he's so febrile and uncomfortable - nonspecific and nondiagnostic symptoms that need to be pursued rather than have antibiotics and pain relievers thrown at them.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The vet said maybe he had ate something he shouldn't or he mentioned pancreatis , but this as been since Monday and every morning I've taken him the vets , I'm so worried about him , he's just laying there and when I try and pick him up he makes this wimper like I'm hurting him , he's so nervous when I take him the vets he stiff and doesn't move
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do u think I should just leave him in his bed tonight and wait till I go the vets in morning or still try and get food and water down him , he just seems to have went down hill very quickly

Pancreatitis in an 11 month old would be very unusual. He needs to be seen at your earliest convenience. I'm not as concerned about his caloric intake as I am about his hydration. please see if you can get an infant fluid/electrolyte replacer such as Pedialyte down him until tomorrow morning. His daily requirement is 2 ounces of fluids per kilogram of body weight which is nigh impossible to get down a dog orally but every little bit counts. Consider hospitalizing Jasper on IV fluids until diagnostics are completed and you know what you're addressing. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you I will keep trying to get fluid down him , he won't move out his bed , I'm at the vets at 930
In the morning and I will request there do the test on him as he's had no improvement off the Injections this morning , he's barley moved all day , at the moment I'm
Only getting water down him by him licking it off my hand

Eyedroppers and smal poultry baster basters placed between his cheek teeth and cheek should be helpful. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok
Thank you , he's very funny about opening his mouth he always as been he won't show me his teeth ever , he just laid there looking from
His bed , I will need to try and move him to take
Him out for
His bedtime business in the garden but I'm scared of hurting him

I understand. Be careful. He's lucky to have you.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi we been the vets there sent us to the emergency hospital there admitted him there testing him for meningitis:(

Ugh. Thank you for letting me know. My best to Jasper!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He's got meningitis the vets have just phoned there putting him on chemo and steroids for 48hrs :(

More ugh. Granulomatous meningoencephalomyelitis (GME)? Steroid-responsive meningitis-arteritis?