Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog ate a pop sock early this evening and am very

Customer Question

My dog ate a pop sock early this evening and am very worried. He's fine in himself, playing, eating and drinking. Read up online about it as vets are closed and feeling even more worried now. He's a 2 year old cocker spaniel.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Beth, let's see if we can get him to vomit it up with 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed at 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight with a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't have hydrogen peroxide? It was about 3 hours ago he ate it and has eaten since also

It may still be in his stomach. Your choices at this time are (1) to induce emesis - peroxide is available in your local market or drug store. (2) Have the sock removed endoscopically. (3) "Watchful wait" and hope that it passes unaided. If all goes well, it should arrive in his feces within 12-24 hours. Persistent vomiting and/or anorexia are the hallmarks of gastrointestinal obstruction and so the onset of those symptoms should prompt having him attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. X-rays or ultrasound would be performed to better understand the likelihood of the sock passing.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is night time where I am so shops and vets are closed which is why I've come on here to see if it's an emergency issue. He hasn't vomited and seems content at this moment so would you say it's safe to wait till the morning to check with my vet or is it an emergency issue? Many thanks

Yes, he sounds to be nicely stable. As long as he doesn't begin to vomit, he needn't see an ER vet. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you I will

I appreciate it!

Thank you for your kind accept.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just a quick update as promised!
Our vet recommended we wait for him to pass it but to watch out for signs of blockage. We had some signs few days later but x-Ray showed nothing and he generally seemed under the weather. I'm pleased to say though yesterday morning he finally passed the sock!!
Very very happy and relieved. I think it was a change in his food that made him hungry so he ate the sock! (He's never chewed or eaten anything like that before) Back to normal food and has been much better behaved. Many thanks for all your help! :)

Better late than never!! Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Thank goodness!