Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our vet prescribed seleen shampoo to treat cheyletiella

Our vet prescribed seleen shampoo to treat cheyletiella mites in our puppy. However, my wife inadvertently used the product neat as a conventional shampoo. she thoroughly rinsed the shampoo off within a minute or so and the dog seems fine.This was several hours ago,but we would just like some reassurance that the puppy should be okay.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK thanks
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

I understand that your veterinarian prescribed Seleen shampoo (a shampoo formulation that contains selenium sulphide) to treat cheyletiella mites on your puppy but something else was used instead.

I am confused about what product was applied instead.

Was it Veet hair removal cream?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The correct shampoo was used but it was used neat and it should have been diluted
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Or are you worried because rather than mixing the shampoo with an equal volume of water and then using the mixture to lather her coat your wife used the shampoo directly from the bottle?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

I see we were typing at the same time!

So the correct product was used, but not diluted first.

Was your puppy's coat wet and then the shampoo applied?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

If your pup's coat was wet and the shampoo wasn't allowed to sit on her coat/skin very long then she is likely to be fine.

The concern with these products is that they can burn the skin if used at a high concentrate level and left on for a period of time.

But by quickly rinsing the product off it is very likely that the product did not have time to cause any excess irritation.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

The downside of course is that the product may not work very well because it wasn't on her coat/skin long enough to remove the scaly debris and kill the mites.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

She may need to be treated for an additional week.

But I don't believe any harm was done.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, thank you.
We have two other dogs, should we treat them as well?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Watch for red skin, any oozing or raw areas. But that is unlikely to occur.

If she seems uncomfortable and more itchy than usual you can give an antihistamine called chlorpheniramine (known as Piriton in the UK) at a dose of 4mg per dog every 12 hours.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Yes, cheyletiella is very very contagious. All furry pets (dogs, cats, guinea pigs & bunnies) need treatment.

And all bedding well washed in steaming water and vacuum everywhere she's been to remove eggs every couple of days, then throw the bag away.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

In severe infestations the home may need to be treated too.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

You can use pyrethrin based flea area treatment sprays to treat your home.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Do you have any further questions for me?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No that's it, thank you Dr Kara.
Good night to you.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome, good night.

Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.