Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My sister has a 7 year old cat who suddenly become very

Hi My sister has a 7 year old cat who suddenly become very bloated and uninterested in food and began to loose weight. We took him to a local vet who drained 1 litre of fluid from his abdomen. His temperature is normal and blood tests show no abmormalities, x-rays showed he has no 'organ' problems of any kind. Further tests were carried out and cancer has beeen elimated. The have also tested the clear liquid from his abdomen which is not contaminated by urine. Yesterday he had a steroid injection to try to stimulate his apetite and we have steroid pills. The conclusion was perhaps Feline infectious peritinitus (sorry not sure of the spelling) Today he seems to be worse and is very fail and wobbly on his feet.She has also noticed a noise when he tries to eat, almost like his teeth grinding. Our vet is closed at the weekend except for emergencies and my sister is so upset. Is there anything else you can suggest we might try. Regards ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr
Do you need any further information on the cat?

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your sisters sweet Shaun, Lyn. If this is Feline INfectious Peritonitis (FIP), this is very serious and 95% of cats with this disease do not survive the wet form which is what you are describing for Shaun's illness, I am so sorry to say. The steroid treatment will help for a short period but all your sister can do now is to supplement Shaun with Pedialyte, a few cc's every 4 hrs to keep him hydrated and also give him some liquified canned food using a syringe to keep his nutrients up while his body is trying to heal.

Have your sister take Shaun to his vet Monday to be sure that there may not be other treatments for this poor guy but the prognosis is not good for her precious Shaun...he is being treated with everything possible so now it is important to make him comfortable, Lyn. Check out this LINK for more information.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank yoy very much. The Vet didnt tell us it would be this quick. I think we will take him back on Monday with a view to putting him out of his misery Thanks again Regards Lyn

That is probably the best for your sister's sweet Shaun. Your vet would not know how quick this would be since many cases are different but, Lyn, since he is not responding to the medication, the prognosis is not good, I am so so sorry to say!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the teeth grinding be a sign of something else ( clutching at straws here)
Lyn

Teeth grinding indicates pain...sorry that I did not address this earlier but it is not a good sign. I know you are clutching at straws, Lyn, and I would also in your situation but now you know that Shaun is in pain. So sorry!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you fir all your help - these things always Seem to be worse at weekends when noone is available. Regardslyn

You are very welcome, Lyn...I know this is hard but it is best to do what is best for Shaun. I wish I could give you better news...

Thank you so much, Lyn, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope things will work out for your sister's precious Shaun!

Have a wonderful day!