Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Our cat is well looked after but is losing weight and fur is

Customer Question

Our cat is well looked after but is losing weight and fur is a little off balance and behaving ferally we have spent about £40 on flea treatment in recent weeks her "sister" our other cat is absolutely fine though
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian. I do apologize that your question was not answered before now, but different experts do come online at different times. Anyway, I have just come online, read about your situation and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not assist you before. If you would still like help, can you tell me:

How long has Hades had these signs?

Has he had any appetite loss, vomiting or diarrhea?

Has he been drinking less or passing more urine?

Can you explain what type of "feral" behaviors he is showing (ie hiding, aggression, withdrawing, etc)?

Did you mean his fur quality is lacking? Is he losing hair? Any skin changes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Losing hair and weight although she is a sleek cat anyway she is hiding and growling we cannot get near her she also seems disorientated when eating she's gobbling it thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is super vicious and has always been that way but this behaviour been over past two days maybe less.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Has she been losing weight over the 2 days only too?

If you do handle her, is she sore anywhere?

Has she been drinking more? Does she seem hungrier?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No diarrhea but is voiding her Bowel and bladder if cornered she has sore spots from fights with Isis our other cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Now I am quite concerned about Hades.

Her coat/hair signs will be interlinked with her weight loss. This is because when the body isn't getting enough nutrition, it will divert nutrition from the skin and coat. This often leads to hair loss, dander, and poor coat condition. Therefore, we need to focus on what is causing her weight loss and by addressing that the coat signs should as well.

That said, before we can address her weight loss, this behaviour and the fact she sounds to be reacting as if in pain worries me. This could be due to a gut blockage, toxin exposure, or injury. And with the pain alone, we’d really be best to have her checked by your vet (perhaps as a house visit if she is too stressed to be handled). That way we can get her onto kitty safe pain relief and then get to the root of the weight loss.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** that weight loss, we do usually need to consider a few categories of causes. The first would be issue with input but this doesn’t sound to be a problem for her. From there, we have to consider output or losses, but if she hasn’t diarrhea and isn’t passing more urine then usual (accidents when handled may be due to her holding her urine too long). Though as those 2 sound less likely to be at the heart of Hades’s situation, we’d then have to think of internal based issues. Further to those gut based issues that we’d have to be wary of, this category would include metabolic disease, organ issues, or severe worm burdens.

So, these are the issues we’d need to consider here. So, again it is a situation where you are best to have her checked and head this all off. Any delay in doing so, you can at least worm her and consider feeding a calorie rich diet (ie OTC Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, kitten food) . These will all get more nutrients into her per bite and can counter weight loss as we work to get to the root of this and settle both her pain and the ongoing concern stealing this weight from her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.