Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Wondering if someone would be able to provide me with some

Wondering if someone would be able to provide me with some advice.
The last few days my budgie has been struggling with one of her tail feathers.
It seems to have come loose, broken or on its way out (not 100% sure), however its hanging loose beneath her. I have gently had a look at it and it almost looks as if the feather is broken at the top or on its way out, however it doesn't come loose when I move it.
It is however annoying my budge massively, hence my want to help. She is chasing her tail around the cage and in a serious bad mood about it. She's shouting at all toys and humans in proximity and keeps looking at it.
As I'm not sure if the feather is broken, or coming out (she is malting at the minute) Im not sure what to do to help her. I just don't like hearing her in such a bad mood, she's also sat still most of the day doing a lot of sleeping. She's still eating/ drinking and in a good mood if you play with her however.
Thanks in advance for any help
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pictures are attached, also worth noting I don't have a avian vat anywhere near me.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Let's get rid of this feather. Sky will appreciate it even if it hurts for just a second. It's best if you have help. She'll need to be carefully restrained - never compress her body because she needs to breathe with her whole body (she doesn't have a diaphragm) - surround her with your hand +/- light towel and follow the shaft of that broken feather to where you see it leave her skin. Grasp the shaft near to the skin with a grasping tool (pliers or similar) and quickly pull it out of the skin. You may see a drop of blood where it comes out but bleeding will stop immediately. And that's all there's to it.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.